Friday, August 19, 2005

Family History... a report.

We finally got our package for the genetic testing. 2 LONG questionnaires about our family.

Overall, I know it's good - we don't have "sick" families. For that I'm thankful. Having this is also great for when we DO have children, if something comes up - then we've already done this work.

Still - I couldn't fill them out without crying.

Does anybody have spinia bifida? Yes, lost a cousin at 8 weeks.
Does anybody have birth defects? Yes, A.'s cousin did.
Does anybody suffer from infertility? Yes, that same cousin did because of the birth defect.
Was anybody diagnosed with cancer younger than 50 yrs old? Yes, A.'s aunt.

I know this is a "good" thing to do... because otherwise we could end up with a child with CF. Of course we're better off knowing. But how many people do you know has their genes "tested"?!


My sister can't stop talking about "but they want to know all that stuff for when you have a kid to see if he/she will be at risk for stuff... " NO - this is ONLY for genetic testing. There are no criterias at the fertility clinic that make it so you're asked all these questions. Goodness, if that was the case, wouldn't EVERYBODY having a baby do this kind of research?! In her mind, they're going to produce a report that will say something like "you kid is at risk for this and this and this and this." Even though i've told her over and over that this is ONLY to know if either me or my dh carry the CF gene. This is with a GENETICS clinic, not the fertility clinic. ARH. Still, she thinks i'm wrong. ?!

Is it actually sad and nerveracking? Or is it simply that anything can cause those emotions in me these days?

We've faxed the "package" to the clinic... keeping my fingers crossed for an appointment SOON. I made it quite clear, in a very polite way - that we hope to get an appointment soon because we would seriously like to move onto IVF as soon as possible. Now, i just pray that they didn't take that as pushy and put me at the bottom of the pile. Who knows how people can react :( I was nice. I swear.

Why can't it just be a normal blood test?? Why can't they tell me NOW if we carry the CF gene? Why can't we start IVF now? Why can't i be pregnant now?

****************************************************************

On a seperate note, we're headed to a wedding reception tomorrow... the whole family will be there. Now, just how often do you think i'll be on the verge of tears? I'm going to guess 8. that seems about average?

My [other/little] sister is now home.... I justed talked to her quickly on the phone. I'm at work. Obviously - I didn't "tell" her - but i asked her if my mom told her our "life story" ... she said "kindof" i said i couldn't talk (obviously - don't need everybody here to know too) and she said "ok, we'll talk later..." and i said "sure, but that's it. there's nothing to really talk about. It's kind of black & white... no gray area..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home