Friday, March 30, 2007

a Naming Ceremony

we're planning a naming ceremony for our children... we've decided that we do not want an 'actual' baptism -- but we WANT our children to have "god parents". Technically -- that seems wrong since godparents are the result of a baptism -- but both of us have godparents from our baptism that didn't 'help raise us in the church'... so then isn't that wrong too?

my mom said 'you should just baptise them' i said 'they can chose that later if they want' she said "you know they wont..." why? cause we're not religious? wait... that's MY point!!! ha!HA!

My MIL straight out said it was stupid. We couldn't have god parents without a baptism. I guess she's the baptism/godparent police.

Who can say it's STUPID to want to celebrate our children. I found this on a site...
"A baby naming ceremony offers a beautiful alternative, giving you a chance to openly welcome your child and affirm your love and commitment to them surrounded by a loving circle of family and friends." put that way - who looks dumb?

I know she'll come around -- it's just completely frustrating that her initial knee-jerk reaction is to call it stupid and make me feel horrible. ARH.

My sisters on the other hand think it's a wonderful idea.

sorry. needed to vent.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lut C. said...

Here we don't have baby showers before the birth. Traditional (or hypocritical) people have a christening, areligious people have a 'baby drink'. :-)
Don't worry, the baby only gets milk, the drinks are for the guests.

March 30, 2007 2:44 PM  
Blogger Caba said...

I'm going through the same thing with my parents. They want a baptism since I was raised Catholic. I don't plan on raising my kids Catholic, so we are at a bit of an impass. My advice to you is the same that my husband gave me "Let's do whatever we want. They are our kids!" I think the Naming Ceremony is a beautiful idea!

March 30, 2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger Chastity said...

Do what you think is right. You don't have to be religious to have god parents. I mean, those are the people that you will have raise your children if something happens to you, so that's a great reason for a ceremony.

April 01, 2007 5:55 PM  
Blogger x said...

I can empathize, my MIL is already bugging me about batism dates and I haven't even had the baby yet.

April 04, 2007 11:04 PM  
Blogger Marie-Baguette said...

In France, you have the possibility to have a "civil" baptism, at city hall. I think the naming ceremony is great. I have already picked a Godmother even though we will not have a baptism. And your MIL is offensive!

April 15, 2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger Frank N. Beans said...

I think your plan is great. My old college roommate has five kids and they all have "godless" parents. I told him that he needs to work on the title, but you get the idea.

June 27, 2007 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home