Sunday, February 12, 2006

"on my way..."

So I had my first ultrasound on Thursday.... I got to the clinic and the receptionist asked for my name... I told her... she said "Oh, yes - you!" and a red bell went off in my head... i was thinking "if my name rings a bell to you, that can't be good??" anyways - turns out the clinic changed the ultrasound schedule... and the latest they'll do the ivf u/s now is 9:30 am. Great... now we have to leave home at 5:30 am LATEST to get there for 9:30am. Crazy. She said they tried to call me to reschedule the one on thursday but couldn't... so she confirmed the number they had for me, which was the right number, so really i have no idea what happened there...!! They obviously did my u/s anyways.

While waiting "my" nurse walked by and said "you're really on your way now! it's now!!" and I couldn't help but say "i've felt like that since my first injections on jan. 27th?" but i guess the puregon will do a whole lot more to me (as well as costing a whole lot more! crazy!!)

I get called for the u/s. The dr. opens my binder (aka patient file, but is now in a binder) and she says "oh, you're already being follow by another dr. for these?" I said "well, no - this is my first IVF u/s..." she couldn't find my prescription... and couldn't comprehend the notes in my binder apparently so she says "i'll be right back..." and apparently that translated to "i have no idea what the heck is going on and why you're here - so i'm going to drop off your "binder" to the dr. who last saw you... she may have a clue..." but of course ALL she said was "i'll be right back..." and she never came back.

The other dr. in question finally comes in (she was with another patient when the other dr. dropped off the binder) anyways... so she's trying to situate herself with my file/case... and she's asking me all these confused questions... "i've seen you before?? and did I suggest you change from IVM to IVF?? and then did you see anybody else? did you get a calendar?" and all along i was saying "Yes, I'm NOW doing IVF, I converted from IVM in Jan. and I was on the pill for a while, now i'm on injections as well....." (i had told the other dr. all this as well, but she was obviously not listening at all!) and finally the dr. had a "lightbulb moment" and she said "OH Ok... so this is your first IVF u/s and you have your calendar and everything!!" she said when the other dr. dropped off the file she thought "that name rings a bell, and really she seems like an intelligent woman and she woudln't be the kind to just assume that she could just start IVF without a calendar and such..." anyways - in the end it was kind of funny, but while waiting i was quite confused...!! (as you probably are, cause i'm guessing the above paragraph was hard to make sense of!)

U/S itself was good... the dr. said I had bled well (now, other than infertility patients... who has ever been told that??) and that it looks like i have many follicules, but they only count & measure at the next appointment.

Following the U/S I saw the nurse again (who I appreciate SO much!) and she showed me how to do the puregon injections... I love that this one is a pen - no more darn air bubbles to worry about!!!! BUT i have to say I have to "believe" that this is being done properly... It's MUCH easier with "normal" injections to know how much your injecting and such... but with this one, i just have to "trust the pen" in a way - and it's bugging me, for some reason. I KNOW it's all good - but still i stress...... because it wouldn't be normal if i didn't, i guess.

It also bugs me that i only have the right amount to get me to my next appointment... but to have more could be a waste of LOTS of money - and it makes no sense... it's just that i think i'd find comfort in knowing that IF something happens - i'm not out of luck... BUT i know that i'll be fine - and I KNOW that my clinic knows exactly what they're doing!!

So one more series of shots before my next appointment (is it a problem when you start counting days as "how many injections left??" instead of sleeps?) then it's an u/s where they'll count my follicules (i'm praying for LOADS!!) and I pray that I do NOT end up overstimulating my ovaries...... which i'm at a slightly high risk since I have PCO.

HAPPY THOUGHTS... this might work... this CAN work. this WILL work.

2 Comments:

Blogger x said...

I am so hoping this works for you! So far it sounds like everything is going well (other than confused doctors).
I know what you mean about the pen - I just had my orientation and thought the same thing, I hope that pen knows what it's doing.
I'll be thinking of you and hoping your retrieval goes perfectly.

February 13, 2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wishing you the very best with your cycle.

Grow follies!!!!!

February 13, 2006 11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home