Friday, June 16, 2006

7 years ago today...

my godmother died, on the side of the road in an ambulance. She was in a horrific car crash that killed the woman in her passenger seat instantly. My aunt was lying on the side of the road - literally - for 2 hrs... because of a dispatch error at 911. Ambulance finally got there... about 5 minutes into the ride she died. It's STILL surreal, and yes, it's been 7 yrs. It was a BEAUTIFUL morning, just like today.

A big transport truck didn't stop at an important stop sign. Of course, they're ALL important - but this one was stopping at a junction for a highway. a VERY important one. The driver had to have fallen asleep - it's the ONLY way I will allow myself to re-tell this story. There were NO break marks on the pavement... and the truck was "stopped" by running into somebody's fence quite far from the accident scene. OBVIOUSLY - he didn't even know it had happened. There were 3 guys in the truck.

I've recently been hoping that perhaps somebody in our family was cursed with 7 years of bad luck... and that it ends now. We've served out time. In those 7 years, my aunt died, a cousin died in horrific car accident and my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. That's a lot in one family. (there's more - just not in the 7 yrs)

My husband came in the picture 7 years ago as well. We knew each other prior to this - but once it happened he just butted right into my life and made sure I was ok. I wasn't ok... I battled depression, I couldn't stop crying. I sat in a chair for days after it happened and kept repeating "what will they do? how will they live through this" refering to her three children. In 5 days all i could eat were my mom's brownies... I ended up needing a prescription for sleeping pills to get me through - and they worked wonders... in no time I was FINALLY sleeping through the night again and therefore managed to "get back on top". My now-dh would take me out all the time - i saw more movies in the month following the accident than I probably have in my life. I'd cry through most. We'd meet with friends and i'd sit there crying. I just couldn't control it - and he LET ME. He was absolutely AMAZING... 2 weeks later (on Canada actually) we officially started dating... and the rest has been an amazing journey. I still find it odd that we got together after such a horrible event in my life, but i'm thankful that through something so horrible something so magical/wonderful came of it.

I also have a friendship that I knew instantly that day that was different than normal friendships. My mom knowing me too well KNEW she couldn't call me at work to tell me the horrible news, but knew that I worked with a close friend... She called her to ask her to break the news. It's a good thing this woman had gone through something similar because she probably would have never talked to me again... I couldn't believe her - i wouldn't. I said "you HAD to have gotten it WRONG." but she just hugged me and let me cry/scream right there in my office. My parents were going to come down to pick me up (i'm over an hour from where my family lives) but this friend insisted on driving me. Her and her now husband took the day off to drive me to my parents... I was blown away by how taken care I was. THAT day I realized she was a whole lot more than just a friend. Even through IF she's been there 120% - all the time. She's been incredible. It's amazing to me that I have that kind of support... that kind of fiend.

June 16th is probably the worse day of the year for me. I have other bad days - other days that I wish the calendar would just skip - but June 16th is by far the hardest day to get through.

I think of her often, looking out for us. I hope that somehow she's taking care of us... I think of her and my cousin (who was a twin) sitting together - and allowing our twins to make it here safe and sound this fall... I think of her all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home